The former Keeper of the Seals, Cheick Sako, had made the holding of this trial a point of honor. In 2018, a steering committee was therefore created, made up of representatives of the embassies of the United States, the European Union, the United Nations, civil society, as well as security and justice services. A provisional budget of 78 billion Guinean francs (about 420 million CFA francs) had even been put forward. Then nothing.
Four years later, Mamadi Doumbouya seems to want to relaunch the trial of the September 28, 2009 massacre. from September 28, 2009 no later than September 28, 2022”, the date of the thirteenth anniversary, specifies the report of the Council of Ministers of the 14 July. An announcement welcomed “with great interest” by the representatives of the victims. “We hope that this time we will go all the way,” reacted Alsény Sall, communications manager for the Guinean Organization for the Defense of Human Rights (OGDH), joined by Young Africa. We are committed to supporting the authorities for the trial. »
Guinea: why Mamadi Doumbouya has (again) separated from his Minister of Justice
Ensuring an inclusive trial
Like the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), the OGDH has filed a civil action alongside the victims of the massacre which, in 2009, caused the death of 157 people, killed by bullets from the army. One hundred and nine women had been raped, 1,500 people had been injured and 89 others had disappeared. That day, thousands of people demonstrated in the Conakry stadium against a possible presidential candidacy of Moussa Dadis Camara.
Officials from the OGDH and the Association of Victims, Parents and Friends of September 28 (AVIPA) were received by the new Minister of Justice on Monday. During the hearing, Alphonse Charles Wright reiterated Mamadi Doumbouya’s commitment to finally organize the trial. In return, its hosts said they wanted an inclusive trial, guaranteeing the effective and secure participation of both the accused and the victims.
Guinea: Moussa Dadis Camara, free with impunity
This large-scale trial which, in the absence of Guinea’s will and or capacity, could have taken place before the International Criminal Court (ICC), required the construction of a to this. The hearing room of the Court of Appeal of Conakry had indeed been deemed too small to accommodate the accused, the civil parties, the public and the media. But the work has so far progressed too slowly in the eyes of the civil parties. According to the Ministry of Justice, the site is today executed at 85%. The Keeper of the Seals “told us that the place chosen for the trial is the building under construction within the Conakry Court of Appeal and that the order has already been launched for the purchase of furniture”, specifies again Alseny Sall.
Double the bites
Officials of this organization as well as of the Association of Victims, Relatives and Friends of September 28 (AVIPA) visited the building under construction on July 19. “There is still work to do, but it is progressing. The Minister of Justice assured us that everything will be made available for it to be delivered before September 28 and we hope that the deadline will be respected”, reacted the president of AVIPA, Asmaou Diallo. While the electrical installations have already been completed, his concern is now about the delivery time for the furniture. Asmaou Diallo is also waiting for the names of the judges chosen to conduct the trial to be communicated to them.
Guinea: return to prison for activists of the National Front for the Defense of the Constitution
The United States, through its embassy in Conakry, would have reiterated its support offer. The steering committee for the organization of the trial, now headed by Alphonse Charles Wright, has been reactivated and will rely on a technical monitoring committee made up of experts, including a psychosocial assistant requested by the victims. As a precaution, the Keeper of the Seals promised them to communicate later the date of the effective start of the trial.
“I don’t like to say something without having the firm conviction that it is tenable,” said Alphonse Charles Wright to Guinean media microphones received following the hearing granted to the representatives of the victims. On Colonel Mamadi Doumbouya’s commitment, I can say right away that we are going to work hard to hold the trial, which has only too late. »